Carey McWilliams speaking to members of the American Civil Liberties Union, June 24, 1960
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Carey McWilliams, editor of The Nation magazine, addresses members of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in Marin County, California in 1960. In his speech he describes the lasting effects of McCarthyism and expounds on what needs to be done to prevent another 'demigod' from creating a similar atmosphere of terror leading to repression of civil liberties. McWilliams applauds the individuals and groups that continued to fight for civil lib...
Carey McWilliams (1905-1980) graduated with a law degree from the University of Southern California in 1927. He worked an attorney in Los Angeles between 1927-1938, where he specialized in labor law. During this time, McWilliams became deeply concerned with the issue of racism, especially prejudice against Mexican immigrants and Japanese Americans. In 1938, he was appointed Chief of the Division of Immigration and Housing of the State of Califor...
Recording location may be the Marin Art & Garden Center.
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905-1980
- Contributing Institution
- Illinois State University
- American Civil Liberties Union
Civil rights--United States
Nuclear weapons--Psychological aspects
McCarthy, Joseph, 1908-1957
- Open reel audiotapes
- Standardized Rights Statement
- In Copyright:This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).a
- Pacifica Radio Archives No. BB0240 (https://www.pacificaradioarchives.org/recording/bb0240); Audio courtesy of Pacifica Radio Archives, source of the original interview
- Chicago citation style
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905-1980. Carey McWilliams speaking to members of the American Civil Liberties Union, June 24, 1960. 1960-06-24. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.library.illinoisstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15990coll1/id/90. (Accessed December 3, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905-1980, (1960-06-24) Carey McWilliams speaking to members of the American Civil Liberties Union, June 24, 1960. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.library.illinoisstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15990coll1/id/90
- MLA citation style
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905-1980. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digital.library.illinoisstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15990coll1/id/90>.