Mother Jones monument
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Dedicated on October 11, 1936, the monument stands 22 ft. high on a 20 ft. x 18 ft. base. It is built of 80 tons of pink Minnesota granite. The name of the sculptor is unknown. The obelisk in the center bears a likeness of Mother Jones and on either side is a larger-than-life bronze statue of a coal miner with his sledge. Mother Jones' headstone lies nestled in the grass at the base of the monument, it reads: "She gave her life to the world of la...
- Contributing Institution
- Mount Olive Public Library
- Jones, Mother, 1843?-1930
Labor leaders--United States
Women labor leaders--United States
Union Miner's Cemetery (Mt. Olive, Ill.)
- Materials in this collection are made available by the Mount Olive Public Library. To request reproductions or inquire about permissions, contact: Mount Olive Public Library, N. Plum St, Mt Olive, Illinois 62069, (217) 999-7311. Please cite the item title and collection name.
- Chicago citation style
- Mother Jones monument. 2004. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/25. (Accessed January 16, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (2004) Mother Jones monument. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/25
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/25>.