Monument to miners killed in the Virden Massacre
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1898-1900
Postcard of the monument to the miners from Mount Olive that were killed in the Virden Massacre, October 12, 1898. Note on verso: 'Erected by Sub Districts 5 & 6 to the memory of the miners killed at the Virden Massacre.' Monument is located in the Union Miner's Cemetery, Mount Olive, Illinois. The inset photo is of the miners (left to right, back row) Ernst Long, Ernst Kammerer, Joe Gutterlie, (front) Ellis Smith.
- Contributing Institution
- Mount Olive Public Library
Labor movement--United States
Coal miners--Illinois--Macoupin County--Mount Olive
Union Miner's Cemetery (Mt. Olive, Ill.)
- Materials in this collection are made available by the Mount Olive Public Library. To request reproductions or inquire about permissions, contact: Mount Olive Public Library, N. Plum St, Mt Olive, Illinois 62069, (217) 999-7311. Please cite the item title and collection name.
- Chicago citation style
- Monument to miners killed in the Virden Massacre. circa 1898-1900. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/16. (Accessed February 27, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (circa 1898-1900) Monument to miners killed in the Virden Massacre. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/16
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/mopl/id/16>.